Churches in Nuremberg
Church of St. Lawrence
The building of St. Lawrence begun about 1250. Originally built as a three-aisled basilica in the high Gothic style the church was later extended with an imposing late Gothic hall choir (1439-1477). It has a magnificent west facade with a splendid portal which is richly decorated with statuary and rose windows (mid-14th century).
The two impressive towers are 80 and 81 meters high. The most important works of art inside are the Annunciation by Veit Stoß (1518), the tabernacle by Adam Kraft (1496) as well as many other medieval altars, memorial plaques and stained glass windows.
Opening hours: Monday - Saturday 9 am - 5 pm, Sunday 1 pm - 3.30 pm
Church of St. Sebald
Nuremberg's oldest city parish church was built around 1215 as a three-aisled late Romanesque pillared basilica with two choirs. As early as 1309 the original side aisles were widened and altered in the Gothic style. The church - as well as many other buildings in the historic city center of Nuremberg - was destroyed during World War II.
St. Sebald was reconstructed in 1957 and reconsecrated. The reliquary shrine (ca. 1397) in the tomb cast in bronze by Peter Vischer and his sons (1508-1519) is prominently located in the interior of the church. The bones of Nuremberg patron saint Sebaldus are presumed to rest in the silver embossed “casket”.
Opening hours: daily 9.30 am to 6 pm
Church of Our Lady
Especially during Christmas the Church of Our Lady has a very special atmosphere since it is located directly at the Christkindlesmarkt. From it's galery the Christkinds opens the market with a ceremonious prologue every year.
The location has a very moving past. In 1355/58 Emperor Charles IV had the synagogue located at that point razed (pogrom 1349) and replaced by the first Gothic three-aisled hall church in Franconia, constructed as an imperial royal chapel. 1361 the imperial regalia were displayed to the public there for the christening of his son Wenzel, heir to the throne.
One of the highlights of the Church is the “Männleinlaufen” (mechanical clock and glockenspiel, every day at noon), which recalls the proclamation of the Golden Bull of 1356: seven Electors pay homage to Emperor Karl IV sitting on his throne.
Opening hours: closed until February 2024 due to renovation