Nuremberg's Christmas Market is one of Germany's oldest Christmas fairs. The pre-Christmas event on Nuremberg's Main Market Square dates back to the mid 16th century. The first mention in writing is from 1628. In the 1930s the National Socialists made good use of the well-established traditional event which enhanced Nuremberg's image as the "Treasure Chest of the German Reich" and was a welcome supplement to their own calendar of festive events. In 1948, the Christmas Market was re-established in the Old Town which had been completely destroyed.
The Chronicle of the Christmas Market
No exact date can be drawn from historic sources as to when the Christkindlesmarkt first began. Taking place in the heart of the 'old city', it was first mentioned in the early 17th century and has been the foundation of Nuremberg's Christmas celebrations for nearly 400 years. Read more about the history of the Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt.